Driver's License Q&A: Out of State Conviction

Jerry Hopkins heads the Michigan Driver’s License Restoration Division at Hills Law Office and for 30 years worked at the Michigan Secretary of State office overseeing driver’s license litigation. Jerry answers driver’s license questions in this Q&A series reprinted from the Kalamazoo Gazette.
Q: I have a Michigan driver’s license and was recently arrested for drunk driving in Florida. I’m not going back to Florida until next winter so what does it matter if I’m convicted of drunk driving in Florida?

A: It matters a lot. If you plead guilty to a drunk driving charge in Florida they will notify Michigan of your conviction. Depending on what you were convicted of, Michigan will suspend and/or restrict your driving privileges and add points to your Michigan driving record. Michigan could also charge you additional fees. Contact an attorney in Michigan who handles drunk driving and driver’s license cases. They can help you with the Florida arrest and more importantly help limit the damage here in Michigan.

If you have any questions about Michigan’s driver’s license laws or how to restore a suspended or revoked Michigan driver’s license, Contact Hills Law Office today.


Contact The Firm: 269.373.5430